Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Winter Storm Warning

  1. #21
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Sure would, also had a 71 Mustang that would fly.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  2. #22
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    LOL looksd like they screwed yet another forecast up. Who would of thought it?
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Srewed it up? Explain.

    This must be why I'm not a meteorologist...I couldn't stand to listen to the public.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member TSHS03's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    The storm went below us.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    [ QUOTE ]
    LOL looksd like they screwed yet another forecast up. Who would of thought it?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    LMAO yep - this is why I try not to pay attention to the forecast anymore.

    Why are Wise County Schools closed, by the way? Can somebody please explain this to me?

    That's what I'm still trying to figure out. I woke up this morning and it was like 1:00 PM and I looked outside and there was NOTHING out there and it wasn't even snowing, so I panicked and thought we had overslept BADLY, only to find out that we were closed!?

    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

    I think the schoolboard really IS on drugs now! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Officially retired

  6. #26
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Yep, sort of. And, yeah, now, we CAN say that the first part of today was wrong. The main part stayed just a bit to the south, however, there was some to north too. A bit of a dry slot formed right over the area and the precip had a tough time making it into some regions, some did and still is hanging around but nothing of real significance. The way one of the computer models was throwing them for a loop, they did a pretty good job with it being that close. The precip was just to our south, north, and east. Shame on them for not seeing this "jump zone" until too late. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Besides, those high end amounts they did have up were mainly for the highest elevations....remember that.

    Anyway, the second wave is still poised to move in. More areas will see mixing of sleet and freezing and maybe a change over to rain (looks like it may start as rain actually for some), then changining back to snow early Friday. The farther north you go the better chance for a longer duration of snow, maybe even all, before others eventually changed back over to snow too. Some could see accumulations through Friday, the warm air aloft may end up having an impact depending on how for north the "warmer" air gets.

    Again, even if we had seen a couple or so inches, not a big deal, the main concern is going to be the cold early next. May be the coldest air we've seen in 10 or 11 years, and as I said we still have chances at snow. Snow ratios could be fairly high with the one Sunday night/Monday probably if there's some snow on the ground, and it wouldn't take much moisture to get a decent amount out it. Like I said in another post, snow on the ground for Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning could push those lows well below zero and highs may not get out of the teens for some people one of those days.

    So quit acting like two year olds, lol [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It'll never be perfect. Be thankful there are people who at least try to help. There's a lot going into these forecasts, especially for winters, and this area is pretty hard to forecast for. It's funny, no one mentions when it's right, but man, we're all over it when it's wrong. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/007.gif[/img]

    Guess this is what snow deprivation can do to you lol.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    [ QUOTE ]
    [


    I woke up this morning and it was like 1:00 PM and I looked outside and there was NOTHING

    [/ QUOTE ]

    1:00 PM, that would be called afternoon [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  8. #28
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [


    I woke up this morning and it was like 1:00 PM and I looked outside and there was NOTHING

    [/ QUOTE ]

    1:00 PM, that would be called afternoon [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Ok then, I woke up and I ASSUMED IT WAS IN THE MORNING. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Officially retired

  9. #29
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    I wonder at times if people use their rationale. I commend the school board, it is better than having 7000 some odd students being bused, drove or driving themselves to school and then 3 inches of snow fall. Error on the side of caution, many secondary roads are left just that due to limited amounts of VDOT workers that are at the shops. The bridge in Dunbar is a one lane bridge now and not very safe dry, add any kind of inclement weather and it becomes beyond dangerous, so are places like low water bridge in Pound or Pole Bridge in Wise. Those places are often last to be worked on as main roads are the concern, a day or two or ten is not gonna matter if a bus with 50 kids slides off the road somewhere and 10, 20 or just one dies. Then its too late, kudos to the school board for realizing this. Forecasts are suggestions, you cannot predict the weather patterns so much as a storm front thats obviously there, its direction may chang, say it was 12 noon and snow began to fall by 12 30 it may be too late, be thankful you rnot put in a situation that can be avoided.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Yesterday parents & students were all over them - upset because there was some snow on the roads and that it was regular schedule even though it was 5 degrees outside...

    Today they err on the side of caution and there are people griping and growling because they thought the kids should have gone to school.

    They can't win.

    And as far as forecasts are concerned, mountainous areas like ours are the most difficult to work in for meteorologists.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •